Who doesn’t love a little coffee kick in a cake or cookie? These are the perfect answer to your coffee cravings, and as an added bonus, there’s chocolate in there as well! Hooray! So I guess these are more of a mocha cookie, but if you want to switch things up, milk or white chocolate chips would work as well and give a creamier flavour. There’s no faffing about with dissolving the coffee in this one, just chuck in the instant stuff – brilliant. And it throws some lovely speckly coffee flecks through them which looks delicious!
100g butter or baking spread
100g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp instant coffee
100g dark chocolate chunks
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and continue to mix until combined.
- Once it’s all incorporated, add your flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and instant coffee and slowly mix until it’s combined.
- Make sure your chocolate chunks are nice and small, then fold them in.
- Cover the mixture and chill it in the fridge for a minimum of an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas Mark 6 and line two baking trays with baking paper or reusable liner.
- Divide your mixture into 12 rounded, even portions and pop them into the oven for 12 minutes. The edges should be just beginning to turn brown.
- Cool on the trays for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Adapted from Fresh April Flours