Something a little different, but still pretty simple, and so delicious. With a brownie-type base, a caramel layer which is taken to the next level by the hazelnut addition, and a dark chocolate topping, this treat is pretty decadent!
Chocolate Hazelnut Caramel Bars
100g baking spread or butter
150 caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
120g plain flour
60g unsalted butter
150ml condensed milk
1 tbsp golden syrup
40g caster sugar
65g toasted halved hazelnuts
200g dark chocolate
1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 and line an eight inch square tin with baking paper or reusable liner.
- Brownie layer first! Melt the baking spread/butter in a saucepan, then add the cocoa and sugar and mix over the heat until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in your egg and then the flour.
- Pour it into the baking tin and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside in the tin to cool.
- Onto the caramel layer! Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the condensed milk, golden syrup and sugar.
- Turn the heat down to low and let it bubble for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring, until it’s a darker caramel colour.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the hazelnuts.
- Pour over the slightly cooled base and spread evenly.
- Leave to set for 10 minutes.
- Topping time! Melt the dark chocolate, then stir in the oil.
- Spread over the set caramel and leave to cool and harden. It might need some fridge time!
- It cuts really nicely from the fridge! Divide into 12, or as many as you like, and enjoy!
Adapted from a Rachel Allen recipe