I’m on a bit of a chocolate orange roll, so forgive me, but this week I haven’t been able to shake the chocolate orange cravings! Maybe it’s the lack of festive chocolate that needs eating up, or maybe it’s just my latest love, but this week I found myself, zester in hand, whipping up a batch of these beauties. Now don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a classic brownie, but sometimes it’s fun to add some flavour, so this week, it’s orange!
Chocolate Orange Brownie
100g baking spread/butter
175g caster sugar
75g dark muscavado sugar
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp orange extract
100g plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa
½ tsp baking powder
zest of one orange
100g chocolate for chunking and mixing in
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Line an 8″ or 9″ brownie pan with baking paper or silicone sheets.
- Pop your baking spread or butter, both sugars, 100g of chocolate and golden syrup into a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until it’s all melted together. Take off the heat and put to one side.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs and orange flavouring, then pour in your chocolate mixture once it’s cooled a bit. No need to wait too long, you just don’t want to cook the beaten eggs with hot chocolate!
- Mix the flour, cocoa and baking powder in a separate bowl or your scale pan, then fold into the mixture.
- Add the orange zest – grate or zest it directly into the bowl so you catch all that lovely orange oil.
- Chunk up your chocolate and mix in.
- Pour your brownie mixture into the brownie pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- The top should look crisp and the edges should be just beginning to crack and shrink away from the edges of the pan.
- Let it cool in the tin for a good 10-15 minutes, until it’s robust enough to lift out!