One of my favourite flavour combinations, dark chocolate and orange will never go out of style. The slight bitterness of both flavours combines beautifully to create a gorgeous tangy treat which, I believe, is a favourite of Terry’s… 😉 I’ve never liked milk chocolate oranges, but a dark chocolate orange at Christmas is a pleasure I’ve enjoyed from childhood! These cookies hold the chocolate orange magic in a soft, chewy delight. Reviews of these are mainly incoherent, mumbled through a mouthful of crumbs in glorious happiness, so I accept that as high praise! Simple store cupboard ingredients needed for this one, but you will need a fresh orange for added zesty zing!
Chocolate Orange Cookies
100g baking spread
75g light brown sugar
75g dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp orange extract
zest of one orange
200g plain flour
100g dark chocolate chunks
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
large pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper or silicone liner.
- Beat together the butter and sugars, then mix in the orange extract so it’s nicely combined.
- Add the egg and orange zest – little tip here – remove zest with grater or invest in a nice zester, but do it straight into the bowl, catching as much of the lovely orange oil that comes off in a mist with the zest!
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. If you’re using a stand mixer, combine slowly at first and increase speed once the flour starts mix in. Don’t over-mix, just until all the ingredients are combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks
- Drop in scoops onto your baking sheets using an ice cream scoop – I usually half fill the scoop for these, but you can choose your cookie size! Don’t squash them down, they’ll spread fine during cooking, and the ice cream scoop will give them a nice round appearance when baked.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until they’re soft and just beginning to brown. They’ll still be puffed up when you take them out.
- Let them cool on their sheets and sink a bit before moving them to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy with friends and get ready for the small shower of crumbs as they exclaim their delight!