These are sinfully sweet and dangerously delicious! Even if the name is slightly misleading! No baking required here, just a whole load of melting and stirring! With the summer holidays fast approaching, this is a great one to add to the list of activities. Grab the ingredients now so you’re prepared for the exclamations of ‘I’m bored’, five minutes into the holiday! There’s plenty of melting, mixing and smushing to be done before a trip to the fridge. Then send the kiddos off for a quick sit down in front of a movie or paddle in the pool and then chunk it up and enjoy a few moments’ peace while their mouths are full! You’re welcome 😉
Chocolate Peanut Crunch Traybake
150g dark chocolate, chunked
100g unsalted peanuts
160g smooth peanut butter
200g golden syrup
60g light brown sugar
- Line a 9″ square tin with non-stick baking paper – I use reusable silicone sheets.
- Pop your peanut butter, golden syrup and sugar into a saucepan and heat gently until they’re melted, stirring throughout to mix.
- In a large bowl (with room for stirring!) combine the cornflakes, peanuts and chocolate chunks.
- Pour over your melted mixture and give it a really good stir. The chocolate will melt and it should coat the cornflakes and peanuts beautifully. Keep stirring until it’s all chocolatey!
- Tip the cornflake mix into your tin and press it all down well. I use the back of a metal spoon to make sure it’s firmly pressed down and even.
- Pop it into the fridge for an hour, before removing it and cutting it into chunks.
- If it’s a hot day, transfer your bars to a storage tin and keep in the fridge.
Adapted from The Genuine American Cookie and Muffin Book