So Christmas is just round the corner, you’ve finished work and sat down… But there’s still so much to do!!! Why not make one thing easier for yourself and bosh a batch of these beauts out. The pastry’s shop-bought and so is the mincemeat, it’s just a construction job. Simple, easy and super quick. These little puff pastry mince pies are delicious and a perfect accompaniment to a Christmas dinner or a thoughtful hostess gift.
Little Puff Pastry Mince Pies
Sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg white
demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Take the pastry out of the fridge about 15 minutes before you need to use to, otherwise it’ll crack when you try to unroll it.
- Preheat the oven to Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Unroll your pastry and cut rounds of about 10cm.
- Squish up into a ball and re-roll the pastry and repeat, cutting 10cm circles
- Pop a teaspoon or so of mincemeat in the centre of each pastry circle.
- Brush the edge with egg white and then gather and pinch the edges together really tightly so the mincemeat’s cosy inside.
- Pop the pies, gathered side down, onto your baking trays and press them down so they’re. little flatter, like hockey pucks!
- Cut two small slits in the top of each, then brush with egg white, covering every bit of each pie. If the egg doesn’t reach a part, it won’t brown and it’ll look all pasty and pale!
- Scatter with sugar and pop in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool for 5 minutes on the trays before transferring to baking racks.
- Serve to friends and pretend they were really tricky to make 😉