These are just fun. My eldest little helper calls these ‘Sparkle Cookies’, and although they’re not actually sparkly themselves, they add a sparkle of happiness and definitely spark a smile! You can use any kind of sprinkle you like for these – special mixes, sugar strands, hundreds and thousands and even sparkly sprinkles, to live up to their adopted name! These are great for bake sales – they’re super easy and look really fun!
100g soft baking spread (or butter/margarine)
100g light soft brown sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
150g self raising flour
50g dark chocolate chunks
4 tsp sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas Mark 6 and line your baking sheets.
- Beat together the butter and sugar with a hand or stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Add the golden syrup and mix again.
- Add the flour in two batches, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the sprinkles! Grab a spoon and mix really well so that they’re spread evenly through the cookie dough.
- Then pop in your chocolate chunks and stir – again, don’t use an electric mixer here as the chunks get stuck and the mixture is quite thick and dry.
- Divide into 12 equal portions. I use my hands to break off pieces – the mixture’s a perfect consistency for this – then roll each bit into a ball. Don’t flatten them as they will bake into perfect round cookies if left as balls.
- Here you can sprinkle a few more of your chosen sprinkles on if you like. Make sure to get a few on the sides of each ball so that they’re evenly spread when the cookies flatten. This isn’t a crucial step – it’s quicker not to, obviously!
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until they start to brown ever so slightly. Don’t over bake as you’ll get crunchy cookies, rather than soft.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the sheets for five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. They’ll flatten as they cool – this means they’ll be lovely and chewy. Don’t leave them too long though, these are gorgeous eaten hot!