So many of you have been asking for a flour-free recipe, and I am absolutely in love with this one. Crisp on top and gorgeously silky-smooth inside, these chocolate cupcakes are rich and heavenly. You’d be insane not to try them. In our house, once eaten, even the cake cases are scraped to get every last morsel of deliciousness! Of course, the recipe is super simple, as always, and you don’t even have to add a frosting!
Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes
200g butter or baking spread
60g plain chocolate
4 eggs, beaten
180g caster sugar
80g light brown sugar
100g cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tbsp hot water
pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5 and pop your paper or silicone cupcake cases into a muffin or cupcake pan.
- Break up the chocolate and melt with the butter – either in a microwave proof bowl for 30 second blasts, stirring at every interval until not quite melted, or in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Once the chocolate has melted to smaller chunks, remove from the heat and stir. This makes sure the chocolate doesn’t get too hot and burn. Stir until it’s all melted together.
- Set the mixture aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the beaten eggs and mix to combine.
- Pop both your sugars into the mixture and beat until it’s lovely and smooth.
- Add half the cocoa and mix.
- Add the vanilla and coffee and mix.
- Add the rest of the cocoa and salt and mix until just combined.
- Using a trigger scoop, divide the mixture into your 12 cake cases.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until they’re risen and the tops are domed and set.
- Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. These cakes will look different from your regular cupcakes as there is no flour in them. I always think they look a little shiny and jelly-ish! This is fine! They will sink once cooled, but this is meant to happen, it’s what gives them the luxurious texture.
Adapted from The Sprinkles Baking Book