Bursting with lemony zing and studded with blueberry jewels, these cupcakes are a pure summer delight. Light and fresh, they’re ideal for a posh picnic or a tea time treat!
Lemon and blueberry cupcakes
210g plus 1 extra tablespoon plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
one cup of blueberries
100g butter or baking spread
210g caster sugar
zest of three lemons
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
200g unsalted butter
480g icing sugar
1 tsp milk
zest of one lemon
drop of vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3 and line a muffin/cupcake pan with 12 liners.
- Pop your flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl and whisk together.
- Toss your blueberries in a separate bowl with the extra tablespoon of flour to coat them.
- Pour your milk into a small saucepan and add the lemon zest.
- Heat over a low heat until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and set aside until lukewarm.
- Add the vanilla to the pan and stir.
- Beat your butter and sugar together using a hand or stand mixer for two to three minutes until they’re light.
- Reduce the speed and add your egg and egg whites one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Beat for another minute or so.
- Add half your flour mixture, mixing at a low speed.
- Pour in the milk mix and combine.
- Add the rest of your flour and beat until just mixed through.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Using a trigger scoop, divide your mixture into 12 equal portions.
- Pop them into the oven for about 20 minutes. Check them after 17 – use the toothpick method to see if they’re done. When inserted into the centre of the cupcake, it should come out clean. If the mixture is still wet, bake for another couple of minutes and repeat the check.
- Once done, let them cool completely before icing them!
- Beat the butter and salt together for three minutes until light and fluffy.
- On a low speed, add the icing sugar and once incorporated, increase the speed.
- Add the milk, lemon zest and vanilla and mix for a minute until fully combined.
- Spread or pipe lemon frosting onto each cake and serve.
Adapted from The Sprinkles Baking Book