A timeless classic, it’s always handy to have a lemon drizzle cake recipe to hand. This one is a one-bowl, one-tray-wonder. Slam all the ingredients together and mix! And what turns out is a gorgeously light, elegant lemon cake with a wonderful contrasting crunch on top. Perfect!
Lemon Drizzle Traybake
125g butter or baking spread
125g caster sugar
140g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
zest of 1 lemon
100g caster sugar
juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 3 and line an 8 inch square tin with baking paper or reusable non stick liner.
- Pop all your cake ingredients into a bowl and beat well, for about two minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until springy in the centre.
- Leave to cool in the tin for five minutes, then lift out and leave for another five minutes on a cooling rack.
- Make your topping by combining the sugar and lemon juice.
- Spoon the topping over your cake while it’s still warm. Pop a tray underneath your cooling rack to catch the drips!
- Leave it to cool completely so the topping is crunchy, then cut into gorgeous tangy, lemony pieces!
Adapted from a classic Mary Berry recipe.