This chocolate cake is light, fluffy and an absolute dream, perfect for quickly whipping up for a kid’s party. The frosting is light as air and altogether feels like a proper treat. Not just for kids, personally, I’ll decorate anything in Smarties…
Simple Chocolate Traybake
115g plain flour
150g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
90ml sunflower oil
75ml just-boiled water
60g unsalted butter
60g icing sugar
1 tbsp warm milk
pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 and line an eight inch baking tin with baking paper or reusable liner.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat together the oil and eggs.
- Add the milk to the wet mixture and combine.
- Pour into the dry flour mixture and mix.
- Add the just-boiled water and mix until well combined.
- Pour into your tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave it to cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and leaving to cool completely before icing.
- Beat the butter with a hand or stand mixer for a few minutes, until pale.
- Add the icing sugar and cocoa carefully and mix.
- Pop in the milk and pinch of salt and beat for two minutes on high speed.
- Spread onto your cooled cake and add any decoration you like – Smarties, sprinkles, chocolate chunks… whatever takes your fancy!
- Cut up and enjoy.
Adapted from Waitrose