Everyone loves a candy cane, right?! I think I actually like the idea of a cute candy cane more than the experience, and always end up with loads lying around after Christmas! With this in mind, I thought it would be fun to find a cookie recipe to use up all the holiday candy canes in a delicious treat – one that doesn’t take you half an hour to eat!
Candy Cane Chocolate Chip Cookies
100g baking spread or butter
100g caster sugar
50g light brown sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
220g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g dark chocolate chunks
60g candy canes, crushed (I use a mini food chopper)
- Mix the butter/baking spread and both sugars using a hand or stand mixer until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and egg and mix again briefly, till just combined.
- Pop the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into another bowl and stir together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Add your chocolate chunks and candy cane and stir them in.
- Cover the bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 and line two baking trays with non stick paper.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the mixture into 12 portions.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from he oven and let them cool on the trays for five minutes, before removing to cooling racks.
Adapted from Lemons and Zest.